Sunday 4 May 2014

South West Coast Path - Day 1

Sat 3 May - Minehead to Porlock

Apparently, Minehead gets it's name from an old Welsh word meaning "mountain". Those setting out on the SW Coast Path might think that fitting during the climb to the path's highest point on the "mountain" (North Hill) where there is a well used bench - and a marvellous view over the Bristol Channel to the Welsh coast.

After a night at the most excellent Tregonwell House in Minehead (where perfect hosts Andy & Sue agreed to look after my van for the duration of my walk), I have dawdled for the 8 miles or so to Porlock on a fine, sunny day. And that's the general aim over the next 11 days. No plan; nothing booked or points to get to  - stopping off at a B&B if a bed is available, otherwise looking for somewhere to pitch my tent.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

3 comments:

Alan Sloman said...

Good luck Brian

I'll be following you until Wednesday, when I'm off up to Scotland, but I'll catch up when I get back in a few weeks time.

All the best

Alan

J_on_tour said...

Great idea to have your tent as a back up, hopefully it's a bit quieter at this time of year.
Nice sculpture, I'm sure I've come across it before but as I wasn't in digital at the time, I'll never find that photo.

Unknown said...

Alan - Thanks. Sorry I couldn't reply before you headed north. Poor to no network connection is my excuse. Hope all goes well for you, and all others, on TGO. Regards, Brian.

J - Thanks. Same old excuse for delayed reply. Regards, Brian.